Whether it’s recognizing text from scanned documents or extracting data from images, the ability to convert images to text has opened up new possibilities. In this blog post, we’ll learn to convert an image to text in Java, exploring the use of Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to recognize and extract text from images.
What is OCR?
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) is a technology that converts different types of documents, such as scanned paper documents, PDFs, or images, into editable and searchable data. In our case, we’ll focus on using OCR to recognize text from images in Java.
Why Image to Text Conversion?
Converting images to text can streamline data entry processes, enable text-based searches in images, and facilitate the integration of image data into various applications. Whether you’re dealing with scanned documents, photographs, or screenshots, the ability to read text from images can be a game-changer.
Convert Image to Text with OCR in Java
You need to follow the steps below to convert an image to text with OCR in Java:
- Install Conholdate.Total for Java in your system.
- Create an instance of OCR API with AsposeOCR class.
- Specify the settings with the RecognitionSettings class.
- Set processing filters using the PreprocessingFilter class object.
- Prepare the image with the OcrInput class instance.
- Recognize images with the Recognize method.
The code snippet below shows how to convert image to text in Java:
Convert Image to Text by Processing Specific Region using Java
In certain cases, you need to recognize text from a specific region of the image. Accordingly, you can set one or multiple rectangular coordinates to recognize text using the OCR in Java. The steps below elaborate on the process to convert JPG or PNG image to text using Java:
- Set up Conholdate.Total for Java on your end.
- Prepare the list of rectangles containing texts using the ArrayList class.
- Prepare the input image with OcrInput class.
- Create API instance with AsposeOCR class.
- Recognize text and get the output with the RecognitionResult class.
The following sample code explains how to convert an image to text while recognizing specific regions using Java:
Free Evaluation License
You may get a free temporary license to convert images to text with OCR using Java without any evaluation restrictions.
In this blog post, we explored converting images to text in Java using OCR. You can seamlessly integrate image-to-text conversion into your applications. Whether you’re working with JPG, PNG, or other image formats, the ability to read text from images opens up a world of possibilities for data processing and analysis. However, if you want to tailor the code to meet your requirements or discuss your questions then feel free to write to us at the forum.